Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Monday, December 7, 2015

Easy Steps to Decorating Your Christmas Tree

Hello friends! I know most of you may already have your tree up but just in case you don't, here is a list of tips to help you create a beautiful tree. I find this works best for me.

If your tree is a faux tree like ours, always air it out for a day since it's been packed away for a year. This is the time to fix a bent branch or something else that may be wonky. Pick out those old pieces of tinsel and ornament hooks that you missed last year.

Next, when it's time to decorate, put on the Christmas music. Music always sets the mood and helps you to work better.

Now, fluff the branches. 

Put on the lights. Some folks put the lights on near the end of the branch inside the tree. Others wrap the lights around each branch. It's up to you how you want to do it. I always start at the bottom of the tree and string them inside the tree at the other end of the branch. This first string I always have plugged into the extension cord which runs behind the tree. This helps keep the wires out of sight as much as possible.



If you have made your own beautiful tree topper now is the time to set it on top of the tree. Or use your angel, star, etc.

Next apply your wired ribbon. Wired is best because you have better control and it adheres to the branches easier. There are different ways to use the ribbon. 



One year I applied it horizontally and the next year, I cascaded it down the tree making sure I used the branches to hold the ribbon in place.



I always put my tree skirt under the tree before I put on the ornaments. If an ornament happens to fall, it will hit the skirt with a soft landing instead of the wooden floor where it might break. 

Now for the ornaments. Place your cheaper, glittery ones inside the tree. Add the biggest ones on the bottom, working in triangles. Next add the mid-sized ornaments in the same triangle formation in the mid-section of the tree. Then add the smaller ornaments working towards the top. 

I find your tree always looks nicer when it is colour coordinated with the rest of the decor in the room. 

Now is the time to showcase your special ornaments such as your ornaments with memories and your favourites. 



Fill in gaps with flowers, pine cones, twigs, berries, etc.

Plug in your tree and enjoy it!


This was how I decorated last year.

Now I would love to see your tree! Leave me a comment to let me know your tree is up and I will come and visit you. Till next time....

Keeping Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment