Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Thinking About the Holidays

Hello my lovely friends. I know it's been several months since I posted anything here on my Christmas Pudding blog but it is October now and well, I'm usually starting to plan for Christmas about this time. 



Autumn has a way of bringing Christmas closer to home. I mean, take a look around and there are golds and crimsons showing up everywhere.

Gold and crimson are not only autumn colours but Christmas colours, right?

Having Thanksgiving next week really helps inspire the planning too. Because we Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving earlier than our American friends do, it gives us more time to get things under way.


Pumpkin pie is most definitely on the menu for Thanksgiving and I also make it at Christmastime. This is the time that I also begin stocking up on the ingredients for my fruit cakes as well as other sweet delights on my baking list. 



Oh, and let's not forget the pate or meat pies. I usually only make one pan now with a bannock crust since my boys are no longer living at home. Mmm, I can just taste the succulent chicken, beef, and pork all inside that savoury crust!



Getting some gifts bought ahead are just some of the things I do this time of year. And don't forget those beautiful Christmas cards! 



Got to get them early before the prettier ones are all picked up.

Taking a trip into Michaels helps put one in the mood. Maybe pick up a new ornie for the tree or some ribbon that's on sale. 

I really liked my tree last year and will likely decorate it much the same as I did last year. The only difference is that I plan to use all white lights this year instead of both coloured and white like I did other years. 




O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Much pleasure thou can'st give me; ~ Tom T. Hall


I changed my decor up a bit the last few months so that will also reflect on how I decorate this year.



Thinking back, Hubby's and my very first Christmas tree was a little silver tinsel tree about two feet high much like the one below. It ended up in the display window of the jewelry store where I was working at the time. 


Courtesy of the Internet

We purchased a nice six foot faux pine tree for our home after that and it was the tree that our children grew up with. It could tell a lot of stories. We used that tree right up until my mother down-sized and gave me her almost new beautiful blue spruce which is about six and a half feet high. This is the tree we use now.

What do you use for a tree? Do you have a real tree or a faux tree? Do you use coloured lights or all white?

You should always be the best decoration in your own house. ~ Phoebe Howard

Whatever we use, we all decorate with a lot of love and care, for Christmastime is a special time. A time for family and friends, good food, and good will toward men. 

And until next time I'm.... 


Keeping Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

4 comments:

  1. Great post,Sandi! This week I'm working on Christmas cards and finishing up my shopping for the grandkids. And planning my decor as I stitch a stocking for my youngest grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sandi...Nice to see your Christmas post. I have a faux tree but it's a beauty. Have it on a turner and it slowly revolves which adds to its loveliness. Haven't thought too much about Christmas yet, though. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandi,
    I noticed yesterday on the calendar that your Thanksgiving was coming up. That is a good time, not too close to Christmas like ours seems to be here in the States.
    I have been pricing lots of vintage Christmas at one of our estate sales for this weekend and caught myself singing "We wish you a Merry Christmas"!
    Both of my trees are faux, one 6 footer and one reproduction table top feather tree. Your tree from last year was totally gorgeous!
    Have a wonderful rest of your week.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sandi, I am VERY interested in receiving your blog posts for THIS page in my email. I already receive your posts for your other page in my email, but for some reason I don't see that option on this page. Please h.e.l.p. :) Thanks so much! ~Heather

    ReplyDelete