Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Thursday, December 22, 2011

A-Z of Christmas ~ X



Today's letter is X.


is for...
Xmas.

The term "Xmas" is a bone of contention for many since it seems an informal and crass abbreviation of what is a very traditional and celebrated event.

The X stems from the Greek word for Christ, so the abbreviation is accurate, however it is a term that is discouraged since it seems to gloss over the importance of Jesus. While the term was used on occasion by the likes of Lord Byron, Samuel Coleridge and Lewis Carroll, in secular society it is also considered rather abhorrent  by many, including myself.

I feel it is of the utmost importance to write Merry Christmas on your Christmas cards and not Xmas.


Please keep Christ in CHRISTmas.
Therefore, I wish you all a Very Merry CHRISTmas!


I'm keeping CHRISTmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

4 comments:

  1. Sandi: I'm with you on 'The Merry Christmas' tradition. The Happy Holiday greeting will not last as Jesus is the reason for our Christmas celebrations. That will not change. We win on this one........Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all your family.....Auntie P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this series...especially with my laptop at the shop.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I couldn't agree with you more, Sandi.

    You did a WONDERFUl job with the A to Z Christmas post.

    Now, when the book comes out, let me know, okay? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Sandi!
    I don't like "Xmas" either because it sounds like it excludes Christ, but I feel better knowing the Greek origins and meaning of "X"
    I feel a certain peace this year, probably because I let go of the anxiety about not being able to buy the elaborate gifts I really would like to give, and decided to give lovelingly what I can. I am more concerned this year for the hurting, needy, lonely people I know, and I'm glad I can offer them myself, a peacemaker, a messenger of God's love, and some small kindness. I feel blessed because I learned some important lessons of loss, forgiveness and hope this year! I not only survived,but I know He will supply all our needs, and I am a better person for it. And I have so many precious ones I love in my life!
    Thank you for the joy you bring to others, and for being a bright shining light!
    Merry, Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete