Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Sunday, December 18, 2011

A-Z of Christmas ~ T

Hello bloggy friends and welcome to another A-Z of Christmas. Today's letter is T.

is for...
Tinsel, Toy trains, Toboggans, Christmas Tree, Tradition, Turkey.


Did you know that the Christmas tree originated in Germany?

Queen Victoria and her beloved German Prince Albert introduced Christmas trees with the intricate ornaments to England in 1840. Glass ornaments, decorative beads, paper baskets with sugared almonds and hot air balloons adorned the trees.

And did you know that the early Christmas trees were typically trimmed with real candles, wafers, gingerbread cookies, fruit such as apples and garlands of cranberries, candy, as well as paper flowers and tinsels fashioned from tin and silver?

This is my Christmas tree which I have up in the Family room. It is decorated with ornaments and decorations collected from nearly forty years. 


Toy Trains~ I have always been fascinated with toy trains. My father had a wonderful train set when I was growing up and I have always loved them. I always dreamed of having a train set of my own, running around beneath the tree.


I think they have a most charming quality about them. Someday I hope to have one.

Turkey~ What is Christmas dinner without a turkey? When I was growing up, my family always had a turkey and I still have a turkey to this day for Christmas dinner. It's called Tradition and I'm very big on tradition, especially at Christmastime. 


I make my dressing using bread crumbs, potatoes, onion, summer savory, salt and pepper, and I cook it outside the bird. I add the drippings from the turkey to it which makes it very tasty.

I think one of the nicest compliments I ever received from my mother was that she once told me that my dressing tasted just like her mother's; my grandmother's. I adored my grandmother so whenever I make my dressing now, I always think of my Granny. I like to think that she would be pleased with her granddaughter.

Please come back tomorrow for the letter U.

Keeping Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sandi....Your tree is gorgeous. Really, really beautiful and I love the dollies and train beneath it. The dolly in the dark green with the white fur is one that I have, too! Can you imagine that?

    Ohhhhhh, a lovely, lovely post. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandi,
    What a lovely tree, and a beautiful compliment your mom made to you, about your dressing. Have a wonderful upcoming week.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi,
    I am playing catch up with my visits and I am enjoying your series of A-Z of Christmas!!

    I too have always had Turkey for Christmas Day dinner since I was a child. I also make my dressing or stuffing as we call it , outside the bird. I put sausage in my stuffing. It was my Dad's recipe. We also have ham and kielbasi ( Polish tradition) and horseradish.

    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and may you get to spend it with all those that you love!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete