Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A-Z of Christmas ~ P

Hello bloggie friends and wecome to the letter P of the A-Z of Christmas.



is for...
Plum pudding, Prince of Peace, Pine cones, Peace on earth, A Partridge In A Pear Tree.

One of the best things about Christmas dinner, besides the family sitting around the table eating turkey, is Plum Pudding.
Much like mince pies, plum pudding was not only an indulgent Christmas food, but it was also steeped in religious meaning.


Source Internet


This is some interesting information I found on this delightful pudding...
As with mincemeat, the mix should contain 13 ingredients, and the pudding should be made on the 25th Sunday after Trinity, or stir-up Sunday as it has come to be known, since every member of the family should take a turn to stir the mixture from east to west to honour the journey of the wise men. A silver coin is mixed in and the guest who finds it in his slice is said to have good fortune in the coming year. The pudding itself is normally the finale of Christmas dinner and is served topped with holly and doused in brandy, which is then lit and brought to the table with much ceremony and to a great applause.


I have always loved plum pudding myself and when I was growing up my mother always served it on Christmas Day. But my own family didn't much care for it so I made pumpkin pie instead. These days, I make pumpkin pie along with a Sticky Date Pudding with a Toffee Sauce which everyone enjoys.


You can find the recipe for it here.


I really like Pine cones and I love to use them in decorating.
These are the pine cones I did up this year by applying white paint and glitter. I used my egg cups for their pots. Cute?


Prince of Peace is one of the many names given to our Saviour. Eight hundred years before the birth of Christ, the prophet Isaiah prophesied -

"For a Child will be born to us, a Son will be given to us;
And the government will rest on His shoulders;
And His name will be called, Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God,
Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6


Please join me tomorrow for the letter Q.

Keeping Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

1 comment:

  1. I've never had plum pudding but would like to try it.

    I think your A to Z of Christmas posts are among the most beautiful in blog land this Christmas season.

    Thank you so much for all the work and beautiful photos, too. Susan

    ReplyDelete