Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Sunday, December 11, 2011

M- The A-Z of Christmas

Welcome to another A-Z of Christmas. Today's letter is...M.


is for...
Mantel, mincemeat, mistletoe, mulled apple juice, and Merry Christmas.

I always make mincemeat pie or tarts for Christmas. To me, you just can't have the holidays without this wonderfully spicy filling in a flaky crust.

I have been loving this delectable pastry ever since I was a little girl when my mother used to make it.


Mistletoe ....why do we kiss under the mistletoe?


Mistletoe was used by the Druid priests 200 years before the birth of Christ in their winter celebrations. They revered the plant since it had no roots yet remained green during the cold months of winter.

The ancient Celtics believed mistletoe to have magical healing powers and used it as an antidote for poison, infertility, and to ward of evil spirits. The plant was also seen as a symbol of peace, and it is said that among Romans, enemies who met under mistletoe would lay down their weapons and embrace.

Scandinavians associated the plant with Frigga, their goddess of love, and it may be from this that we derive the custom of kissing under the mistletoe. Those who kissed under the mistletoe had the promise of happiness and good luck in the following year. {Excerpt from the Internet}


Mulled Apple Juice
This is very nice hot beverage we enjoy in the wintertime; especially during the holidays.

Heat 1- 48 oz. can of good apple juice in the top of a double boiler with 6-8 whole cloves and a 4-5 inch piece of stick cinnamon. Remove the spices after 30 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 8 servings.

This is my fireplace mantel all decked out for Christmas. I have used fairy lights, gorgeous pink balls, pinecones, glittered pink poinsettias, and mercury glass votives on crystal candlesticks.

In the daytime, it looks like this....


And this is what it looks like at night.


Close-up view.


I hope you will join me tomorrow as I do the letter N.

From my home to yours ~ Merry Christmas!


Keeping Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

2 comments:

  1. These are sweet little Ms; the mincemeat tarts look tempting, I should make some! And don't forget myrrh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sandi, that mantel look GORGEOUS. The mincemeat pies, too yummy! Susan

    ReplyDelete