Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Monday, December 5, 2011

G ~ The A-Z of Christmas

Good morning Christmas lovin friends. Today I am doing the letter G.


is for....
Glad Tidings, gingerbread, gold, frankincense, myrrh, and good will toward men.



Gingerbread cookies and houses are a long time favourite at Christmastime. When my boys were growing up I made gingerbread boys every year. I still enjoy them although I no longer bake them. They are such charming cookies!


These days, I have a ceramic Gingerbread House which I purchased at Hallmark a few years ago. It has wonderful gumdrops on it which light up and keep time to the music that plays when you ring the doorbell. It plays a most delightful rendition of The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy.


My grandchildren love it and they take turns ringing the door bell!  The past couple of years I have also been making a gumdrop tree which stands next to the Gingerbread House. The children take the tree home with them after their visit to enjoy the treats.

I also enjoy old fashioned Gingerbread cake served with apple sauce, whipped cream, or a wonderful vinegar sauce which was my grandmother's recipe. Yes, Vinegar Sauce; and it's delicious!  


Please come back tomorrow for the letter H.

Till then, I'm keeping...

Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooo, I LOVE gingerbread, Sandi. Got some mixes yesterday and bought some heavy cream to whip up on the gingerbread, too. Your post is LOVELY again! Keep up the good work-----and remember that book idea! Susan

    ReplyDelete