Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Monday, December 12, 2011

The A-Z of Christmas - N

Hello friends and welcome to the A-Z of Christmas. Today, I'm doing the letter N.


is for...
Nativity, Noel, Nutcracker.

My nativity, I have already shared with you but I want to share it once more.
It was built for me by a gentleman in our last church.
I added gold garland for the straw and set in my porcelain figurines.
Each figurine is made by Avon and they date from 1981-1989. 
They were all collected as gifts from family members and friends over the years and they hold much sentimental value.


I keep the little Bible open at Luke 2 for the Christmas story.

Usually the Nativity is simply, but charmingly, performed in the school or local church. An adorable cast of young children re-enact the story of Jesus' birth. While a couple of children may land the starring role of Mary and Joseph, a chorus is made up of various shepherds, angels, kings, and animals who usually wear an array of homemade headdreses and posterboard crowns. 


Noel (or noël) is an alternate word for Christmas. The word comes from the French word Noël meaning "Christmas" which derives from the Old French word noël, a variant of nael. The Latin origin is the word natalis ("birth").

A Nutcracker is a mechanical device for cracking nuts. The earliest use of the term nutcracker in English dates to 1481.

Of course, we all love the famous ballet, Nutcracker.
I have a few nutcrackers myself although I do not have them all out this year. I have not decorated as much this year as I normally do. My grandson Brent claims his favourite Christmas decorations are nutcrackers!

Source Internet

Nutcrackers in the form of wooden carvings of a soldier, knight, king, or other profession have existed since at least the 15th century. These nutcrackers portray a person with a large mouth which the operator opens by lifting a lever in the back of the figurine. Originally one could insert a nut in the big-toothed mouth, press down and thereby crack the nut. Modern nutcrackers in this style serve mostly for decoration, mainly at Christmastime. The ballet The Nutcracker derives its name from this festive holiday decoration.

This is one of my nutcrackers I have hanging on the tree.


Thanks for stopping by and please come back tomorrow for the letter O.

Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

2 comments:

  1. Lovely posts! Your Nativity and Nutcrackers are both beautiful. The last picture is especially pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi,

    I am enjoying your series so much! I am having mucho computer issues so visiting you is a real treat!

    ReplyDelete