Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Friday, December 2, 2011

The A-Z of Christmas ~ D


Welcome to another A-Z of Christmas.
Today's letter is D.

is for....
Dickens, Deck the Halls, Dolls, Donuts...

I'm sure most of you have begun your holiday baking and decorating your home for the season.

Source Internet

My father and I had a tradition of making Christmas donuts together. I would mix up the batter, cut them out, and he was in charge of cooking them in the fat. We always left half the batch plain and sugared the other half. He would keep half the donuts for my mother and himself while I would take the other half home to my family. It was my grandmother's recipe and were they ever good!
Today, I make them by myself but not that often any more. I really miss those times with my Daddy!


Christmas is also about Dickens...
The Victorian era was when many of the traditions were established. Prince Albert introduced the German tradition of the Christmas tree during Dickensian times, and the Royal family promoted the idea of family Christmases.

This paired with the novella written by Charles Dickens, cemented the ideologies of Christmas that we uphold today. 'A Christmas Carol' is not only an illustration of Christmas during Victorian times, it promoted many of the sentiments of what the season meant to secular society.



The story is rich with the importance of family and love as well as merriment, enjoying food, dancing, and playing games, but also most importantly, goodwill to all men and generosity of spirit.


This is part of my Christmas Village. All the characters are dressed in Victorian garments.

When I was a little girl, I loved dolls, and I couldn't imagine never playing with them. Then I grew up and had my own. Unfortunately, they grew up on me. So, I began collecting dolls. The two I'm sharing with you today I had received for Christmas a number of years ago.


This porcelain Little Drummer Boy, was gifted to me by my hubby the year my youngest son played The Little Drummer Boy in the school band. I named him Yarden which is Jewish for Jordan. He is outfitted in his shepherd garments complete with sandals, and plays his drum to the music of The Little Drummer Boy.


This sweet little girl was a gift from my middle son and his wife for Christmas one year. She is out walking her doggy and carrying her lantern. She is dressed in her lovely velvet forest green coat which is trimmed with fur. Underneath her coat, she is wearing her little tartan dress. Topping off her beautiful tresses is a matching fur hat. Isn't she adorable?

Thank you for visiting today. See you tomorrow for the letter E.....


Keeping Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

1 comment:

  1. What a delightful post! I always enjoy your Christmas Pudding blog...

    Best Wishes and Merry Christmas!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete