Welcome to my Christmas blog ~ Christmas Pudding

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year." ~ Charles Dickens



Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Story of the Christmas Pudding


I ran across this little tidbit the other day and thought I would share it with you. I found it very interesting!


Traditional Christmas pudding recipes are said to contain thirteen ingredients representing Jesus and His apostles. What's more, the pudding is made up on "Stir-Up Sunday" which is the twenty-fifth Sunday after Trinity, the Sunday next before Advent, when each family member takes his or her turn stirring the pudding mixture from east to west to illustrate the journey of the Magi as they followed the Star.


And the pudding must be stirred with a wooden spoon made of wood in remembrance that the Christ Child lay in a simple wooden manger. The traditional sprig of holly garnish represents His Crown of Thorns and healing, and the flaming of the brandy symbolizes the Passion of the Christ.


Once the Christmas Pudding recipe is made, each family member develops their own tradition surrounding the serving of the pudding on Christmas Day.

Christmas in my heart all year round ~ Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment